Dexter Shurney, MD, MBA, MPH, is the President of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. He is the former Chief Medical Director / Executive Director for Global Health Benefits and Corporate Wellness for Cummins, Inc. He has an extensive background in health care management and policy. He has distinguished himself as a recognized leader in his profession in numerous ways. Prior to Cummins, Dr. Shurney was the Chief Medical Director of the Employee Health Plan for Vanderbilt University and Medical Center. During his tenure at Vanderbilt he also held joint faculty appointments as Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Internal Medicine and Public Health, and Adjunct Faculty, Owens Graduate School of Management.
Other positions that Dr. Shurney has held include Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer for Healthways, Senior Health Policy Strategist in the Division of Government Affairs for the biotechnology company Amgen Inc., Chief Medical Officer and Vice President of medical affairs for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, and Editor of the Journal of Managed Care Physicians.
Dr. Shurney is board-certified in general preventive medicine and public health. He is a fellow in the American College of Lifestyle Medicine.
Additional Boards & Associations
- The American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM), President
- Integrated Benefits Institute (IBI), Board Member
- American College of Medical Quality (ACMQ), Board Member & ACMQ elected delegate to the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Care Continuum Alliance (CCA), Former Board Member
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP), Former Chair of the Business Strategies Committee
- Population Health Management, Editorial Board
- The American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, Editorial Board
- Integrating Wellness into Your Disease Management Programs, Book Co-Author