Dr. Dexter Shurney is Senior VP and Chief Medical Officer of Community Wellbeing and Blue Zones Institute for Adventis Health, a large health system on the West Coast. Previously, Dr. Shurney held positions as the Chief Medical Officer at Zipongo, and as the Chief Medical Director for Global Benefits, Health & Wellness at Cummins. Prior to joining Cummins, Dr. Shurney was the Chief Medical Director of the Employee Health Plan for Vanderbilt University and Medical Center. He has an extensive background in health care management and policy, preventive medicine and wellness, disease management, and managed care administration/benefit design.
Shurney received his M.D. from Howard University College of Medicine, his M.B.A. in International Finance from the University of Detroit Mercy, and his M.P.H. Preventive Medicine/Public Health from the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Additional Boards & Associations
- The American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM), Past President
- Health Enhancement Research Organization (HERO), Board Member
- National Association of Managed Care Physicians (NAMCP), Board Member
- Integrated Benefits Institute (IBI), Board Member
- American College of Medical Quality (ACMQ), Board Member & ACMQ elected delegate to the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Care Continuum Alliance (CCA), Former Board Member
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP), Former Chair of the Business Strategies Committee
- Population Health Management, Editorial Board
- The American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, Editorial Board
- Integrating Wellness into Your Disease Management Programs, Book Co-Author